Vandals force the closure of Topsham toilets
Published: 28 July 2020
Vandals have forced the closure of public toilets in Topsham after the facilities on the Quay were persistently targeted.
“This is just mindless vandalism,” said Cllr David Harvey, Lead Councillor for Environment and City Management, “there are no other words for it, it is completely unnecessary!” he added.
Toilet rolls were placed in the cisterns, causing the toilets to flood. There was also damage to the pipes and cisterns. This has happened on numerous occasions.
On Monday the toilets were locked up following the latest attack.
Cllr Harvey said it was a shame as the City Council had only reopened the toilets in June following their closure during the Coronavirus outbreak.
“Last month we agreed to open a handful of public toilets to help with the recovery following the easing of restrictions. Topsham Quay was one of those that were reopened.
“Unfortunately, this isn’t a one-off and was one of the reasons why a number of toilets were closed for good in Exeter last year following a period of public consultation.
“So many of these facilities are the focus of serious anti-social behaviour and we just can’t afford to keep repairing them if they keep getting damaged,” he stressed.