Waste guidance for people with confirmed or possible Covid-19
Published: 18 March 2020
Guidance for people with confirmed or possible Covid-19: how to dispose of waste
- KEEP YOUR WASTE INSIDE FOR AT LEAST 72 HOURS before putting it into the correct wheelie bin.
- Store personal waste (like used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths securely in rubbish bags.
- Place these bags within a second bag, tie it securely and store it in a separate room from where you are self-isolating.
- Keep the bags there for AT LEAST 72 HOURS before putting them into your black wheelie bin outside.
- If you do not have a wheelie bin, follow the procedure outlined above and then place the double-bagged waste outside in your seagull-proof sack after 6pm on the night before your usual collection day.
- Recycling and garden waste can be placed in your usual bins.
- PLEASE CARRY ON RECYCLING. It is vital that those self-isolating keep using the correct bins. Overfilling the black bin may result in spillages and loose rubbish in the streets.
Collections will continue on your normal day, according to your waste collections calendar (downloadable from exeter.gov.uk/wastecollections), until further notice.
Should there be any delays to collection services, we will update our page exeter.gov.uk/suspendedcollections with the relevant advice. Please check in regularly with this page.
The safety of the public and our workers, including our collection crews, is of paramount importance.
We will monitor the situation as the country continues its efforts to suppress the COVID-19 virus. Please keep up-to-date by following the Council’s official Exeter Coronavirus Updates Facebook group.