Cultural takeover in Exeter and Devon Libraries
Published: 17 March 2023
An exciting series of creative events is being rolled out by Libraries Unlimited in Devon and Torbay this spring.
Music, art, workshops and performances are lined up for the Library, kicking off on 12 April.
The first season of events in Exeter runs over April, May, June and July and there are also events running at libraries in Exmouth, Paignton, Kingsbridge, Ilfracombe and Barnstaple.
The programme is being rolled out by Libraries Unlimited, which is supported by Exeter City Council.
The charity last year secured a £720,369 grant from Arts Council England to boost its thriving programme of music, films, workshops and high quality community events between 2023 and 2026.
The first season of events has a theme of Pride of Place.
Rae Hoole from Libraries Unlimited said: “We were so excited and delighted to secure this substantial grant from Arts Council England last year, and now we’re looking forward to beginning the first stage of the roll-out across Devon and Torbay.”
“Pride of Place is a push to connect communities through a celebration of people and where they live. We’ll be encouraging residents and visitors to come to together to be creative, discover new talents, listen to performance and music, and above all have fun!”
In Exeter, the following events have been organised:
- Wednesday 12 April, 11am to 12.30pm: The Munch Mission is a fiendishly sneaky art heist adventure which allows the audience to 'call the shots' about how the story unfolds. Set in the world of international art galleries, the show was inspired by real-life attempts to steal Munch’s The Scream. Tickets £8 general/£6 concession.
- Saturday 15 April, 1pm to 4pm: Join renowned artist Megan Dowsett on a journey to create unique ‘Tree Treasures’ using leaf printing on clay and a treasure hunt across the library. Free event.
- Wednesday 17 May, 8pm to 10.30pm: A concert from Three Cane Whale Concert, a multi-instrumental acoustic trio based in Bristol. Tickets £10 general/£8 concession.
- Friday 16 June, 7.30pm to 11pm: Library Lates is a celebration of what a library space can be - music and workshops after dark at Exeter Library. Expect creative art and literary workshops alongside live music, a silent disco, backstage tours and full bar. Tickets £8 general/£6 concession.
- Saturday 15 July, 7pm to 10pm: The Belshaw Band will enthral the audience with their unique blend of trumpet, two saxophones, two violins, cello, and piano, infused with influences from various musical genres including Baroque, rock, pop, minimalism, and jazz. Tickets £10 general/£8 concession.
To book and find out more information about the Exeter events go to the Library’s Eventbrite web page at www.eventbrite.co.uk/cc/whats-on-at-exeter-library-738219
To find out about other events throughout Devon and Torbay visit www.devonlibraries.org.uk/web/arena/home or www.torbaylibraries.org.uk/web/arena